8/09/2011

MG ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam - WIP Part 1

I got this kit sometime end of last year, so I've already snap-fitted it long ago, but haven't painted, panel lined, or topcoated it. I haven't got the knowledge on how to do those during that time, so now I'm trying to complete the kit.

First things first, I bought the standard MG Strike Freedom, not the Full Burst Mode version, nor the Extra Finish version. The standard version's inner frame or supposedly gold coloured parts are an ugly non-shiny gold-yellow, some said "poo" colour, LOL. So my first task is to paint it real gold colour, which I've done on one arm and one leg.
I've hunted high and low for brands that have real gold colour spray can, but most are metallic gold -_-. I can't find brands carrying the chrome gold plating type colour I wanted, so I've no choice but to settle on ABRO brand's High Finish Gold which is the closest colour I can get to the chrome gold I wanted.

Comparison of the unpainted right arm with the painted left arm:
Inner frame:


With armour parts:


Comparison of the unpainted right leg with the painted left leg:
Inner frame:


With armour parts:

*I also painted a bit gold on the ankle armour's details, and a little bit of red in the small knee thruster.

I planned to try the PG Strike Freedom's colour scheme on this kit, so I also paint gold on the inside of the shoulder armour.
Comparison of the unpainted right shoulder armour and the painted left shoulder armour:
Disassembled:


Assembled:


That's what I've progressed so far, next I'm going to paint the the main body first before moving on to finish the other arm and leg. Lastly will the Dragoons pack, which will be a tedious job just by disassembling alone =_=.
Stay tune for Part 2!

6 comments:

  1. haha i also painted the inner frame with gold gundam marker. else looks very plastic la.

    but i din disassemble them. :T scare will break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hye,

    would like to know where to get that abro brand high finish gold kaoru780@yahoo.com

    looks very nice

    how is it compare to the gold gundam marker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I bought it from Ace Hardware store, not sure if other place have it though.

      Using a spray paint will give you a much more consistent paint layer than using a marker. Better still this Abro gives more of a gold finish instead of metallic gold the gold gundam marker would give =D.

      Delete
    2. Hello may i ask how you spray paint it?you disasemmble it and spray parts by parts like when ithas just been taken out of the runner?also how thick should the paint be?will the paint eat into the plastic?

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    How did you draw the black outline on the gold-painted part? did you faced problem with clogged paint and how u solve it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nic, this Abro High Finish Gold will it eat to plastic in the long term?
    Will the joints be stiff that you almost break it because of this paint?

    ReplyDelete